Alison Wu makes some of the most show-stoppingly beautiful creations on Instagram. She’s always on the cutting edge of trendy wellness ingredients, so when the Portland-based stylist came to New York to teach an adaptogen workshop, we had her by the mbg office to talk all about her new favorite superfood: CBD. CBD is a hemp-derived supplement that’s legal in most states; unlike THC, it’s not psychoactive.
“I like using CBD in recipes as supposed to using it as a supplement,” Alison shared, explaining that she likes to create more of a ritual around her consumption. She personally likes its calming effects. “It helps with stress and anxiety, letting you unwind from your day,” she told us. “I also think it helps a lot with joint pain and inflammation, so I take it for that as well.”
She shared her favorite CBD-infused Bliss Balls, which had a spicy warmth from the cinnamon and cardamom combo and a delicious sweetness from the apricots. Alison loves to bring a batch with her on the plane, an antidote to the craziness of the jet-setting influencer life. They’re the perfect introduction to cooking with CBD; very forgiving with measurements, and requiring only 2 steps, and less than 5 minutes to make.
Alison’s CBD Bliss Balls
Makes about 15 balls
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1½ cups coconut butter
- 10 dried unsweetened, unsulfured apricots
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond butter
- 120 mg CBD-infused MCT oil (Alison loves Upstate Elevator Supply Co. and Luce Farm)
- 1½ teaspoons mucuna pruriens
- 1½ teaspoons rhodiola powder
- 2 vanilla beans, the insides scraped, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 pinches pink salt
- Process all ingredients in a food processor until a sticky dough ball forms. Depending on the size of your processor, you may want to break up into two batches. Be careful not to overprocess, or you will end up with nut butter.
- Roll into balls then roll into crushed freeze-dried blueberries and raspberries, if desired. Enjoy!
And are you ready to learn more about what anxiety, brain health, and your diet all have in common? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Dr. Mark Hyman.